Tuesday 1 February 2011

Summer Dreaming

We're thinking about summer here this week...choosing cottages to stay in by the sea and in the country...
I'm dreaming of summer and all the things I love about it...and seeing my summer boats bag that I made last year storing some yarn at the moment but knowing before long it will be filled with...what? Sea shells, maps, sun glasses, bottles of water, ice cream money, gardens leaflets...I am soo looking forward to that.
I love to have seaside pictures and postcards and other reminders of summer around my studio through all the seasons, like this sweet seaside scene by Julia Crosland. (You can find it here.) I often keep shells and sea glass collected from different holidays in jars with labels, to preserve a little bit of those jolly times...
I've been dreaming of gardens, especially our own - soon to be more flowery than ever! - and I've been looking at some of my garden scrapbooks, filled with ephemera, and pictures of flowers we grew and will again...
 This was our garden last summer and I am sooo looking forward to the roses blooming again. Late spring just tipping over into early summer in a cottage garden...pure bliss to me!
I hope you all have a lovely week, and enjoy some summer dreaming too, and maybe a few more signs of spring as well. Back soon for a splash of colour. xxxx

15 comments:

Jenny said...

such a lovely summery post Helen, I love your sailing boat bag - that cornflower blue colour always makes me think of summer holidays, whitewashed buildings and the sparkling sea... hurry up Summer! hope you're having a lovely day, jenny x

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful uplifting post Helen, thank you!
I love to collect sea glass too, it's my favourite thing when beach-combing!
I love your blue bag too!
You've made me feel good now! :)
Vivienne x

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Good Morning Helen, What a lovely splash of summer teasing! I love the way you have organized your garden journal with the dryed floweres, so pretty and really helpful, I'm sure. Great fabric on your summer bag and of course the bright button! Those roses are exquisite, the shade is so cottage perfect. Hope your summer planning goes well. Off to work now, before the next blizzard. Thanks for visiting me always! xoRobin❤

sylviesgarden said...

Oh Helen, thank you for such a lovely summery post. So many nice colourful pics.

x

...Nina Nixon... said...

That's my kind of dreaming, but just a bit of sun and warmth will keep me happy....for a little while.

Enjoy your dreaming.

Nina xxx

Pipany said...

Are you coming to Cornwall? Hurrah, if so!!! A lovely post helen as always and beautiful pictures. i do love visiting your blog x

Teje said...

Dear Helen, thank you for a lovely summer feeling! What a lovely idea to collect small holiday memories in a jar! And your garden book is wonderful! I enjoy always reading and seeing your beatiful posts!
Summer wishes! Teje

silverpebble said...

Oh I love how you've preserved a little bit of your holiday in that jam jar! I'm definitely dreaming of summer and days out in the garden. I can hardly wait!

Marigold Jam said...

That was as good as a colour post -gave a real lift to the spirits -thank you.

Jane

Simone said...

Thank you for the dreamy summery post! I love your bit of a holiday in a jar idea! x

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

How nice to be reminded of summer. Your photos are always so lovely!
We have lots of snow here today and I am alternating between blog reading and tea drinking and shoveling snow!

Naturally Carol said...

Your jar reminds me of the movie with Diane Keaton when she collected a pebble everytime she went to the beach and had a lovely bowl of them on her table. I love your blue bag as well...I can tell you're planning a great summer...wish I was coming too!

gillyflower said...

I'm so happy to have discovered your lovely blog Helen! The summery images are a perfect tonic to this grey mizzly day.

I love the yellow floral fabric in your last post too, so pretty and summery.
Gillx

Jane said...

Lovely dreams of summer Helen. We have booked our June holiday...so good to look forward to it!
Sending sunny thoughts,
Jane x

Attic24 said...

You and I are very similar, i too have that beautiful print by Julia. it sits on my mantel (currently next to my blue hyacinths in full bloom) and reminds me how wonderful seaside holidays are.
roll on longer days, warmer weather and sunshine!
xx